I came back from holiday a couple of days ago and yet I’m still embroiled in a jet lagged fug, wide awake watching Modern Family and eating peanut butter on toast at 3am, then accidentally napping for 6 hours in front of terrible daytime TV at 3 pm.
I’m desperately trying to cling to all of the promises I made to myself while on holiday and jacked up on plenty of sleep, beer, sunshine and good books. You know the kind of stuff, “I’ll start each day with a green juice and yoga,”and “I’ll get up early and write for an hour” or “I’ll start wearing lipstick and heels every day like a proper grown up.” This one is really important, “I’ll stop mindlessly scrolling on my phone for hours on end.”
It doesn’t escape me that I’m a massive cliche, planning to overhaul my life while slurping on frozen margarita and blissing out by the pool listening to Drake but I suppose that’s a large part of what holiday is all about – embracing the time and the energy to think about what you really want from your days and what you could be doing better.
My problem is that I want to be a juice swilling, every day lipstick wearing, book writing, yoga bunny and while I do these things occasionally, they tend to fall by the wayside thanks to the rigors of having to earn actual money and travel to the place where the money is earned.
Now that I’m back to real life and feeling all refreshed I’m reminded that while it won’t be easy, I should try and keep to my holiday promises. I’ll try and be more focused and batter out a few words, slap on the Russian Red, think of nothing and blitz some spinach and frozen berries when I can.
Lots of people with full time jobs have written books and done yoga after all.
And look, I’m writing now!
I’m also going to try and plan more breaks – not necessarily jetting across the Atlantic but weekends away, breaks from the boring routine.
There’s nothing like a fresh perspective and some export strength gin to help you get your shit together.
In the meantime, here’s some massive, inescapable, holiday cliches I just couldn’t avoid…
- Pre trip working out like a boss and eating like an angel then gaining 10 lbs on holiday and coming home to fill a trolley with kale, quinoa and coconut water. I’m that ass-hole, I know!
- Deciding that holiday will be better if you buy new sunglasses, some tops, a new pair of jeans, a properly fitting bikini and then finding you’ve blown most of your spending money in Toppers before even leaving dear old Blighty
- Legs or hot dog photos. I hate myself.
- Dreading going to back to work and forgetting your passwords and then you’ve been back just an hour and what do you know, it’s like you’ve never been away
- Promising to be a better person upon your return to British soil
- Burning on the first day and the last day
- Alcohol. Every damn day.
Happy Holidays bitches!